One of the best parts of living near the South Shore is, of course, the beaches.
The readers of USA Today agree.
In the national newspapers’ 2018 Readers’ Choice rankings, six Long Island beaches made the Top 10 for best beaches in New York State.
Among those were Babylon’s Robert Moses State Park at Field 3.
“Situated at the westernmost point of Fire Island, the lifeguarded beach is popular for swimming, boogie boarding, surfing and surf fishing, and amenities include picnic tables with grills, beach shops, concession stands and showers,” USA Today described.
The five-mile-long beach was bested by two other South Shore beaches in Fire Island National Seashore (No. 1) and Jones Beach State Park (No. 2).
Here is the full list:
- Fire Island National Seashore – Patchogue (base of operations)
- Jones Beach State Park – Wantagh
- Robert Moses State Park – Babylon
- Tiana Beach – Hampton Bays
- Coney Island Beach & Boardwalk – Brooklyn
- Cupsogue Beach – Westhampton Beach
- Million Dollar Beach (Lake George Beach) – Lake George
- Coopers Beach – Southampton
- Hither Hills State Park – Montauk
- Green Lakes State Park – Fayetteville
Top: Robert Moses State Park from Babylon photographer Jeanette Franzino.